Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Gift of Widowhood & Single Parenting

I have a gift no one wants: widowhood at 36-years-old. While I don't like being referred to as a widow, I've had to identify myself as one on a slew of forms since Kent died . . . so much so that it's made my lot in life really hit home.

I've been reminding myself that everything from God is a gift . . . even my widowhood and subsequent single parenting. God gives us gifts that we don't ask for or even want, and, sometimes, they're gifts that can't be returned or re-gifted . . . but, nonetheless, they're gifts out of His infinite love to teach and grow us in our walk with Christ while drawing us closer to Himself.

I've also been reminding myself of God's goodness. God does not make mistakes with what He allows in our life, so He is good all the time. Because of this, I can trust His plan for my life, though I may not always understand it. Even though some of His gifts can hurt, we have to trust that, in all things, God works for the good of those who love Him (Romans 8:28).

I once thought brain cancer interrupted my life, but it's been a part of God's good and perfect plan for my life all along. My widowhood IS a gift; what I do with this gift is up to me.